7 Easy Ways to Lose Weight
- Don’t count calories. The problem with counting calories is that most people will reduce their calorie intake without any thought to nutrients. If you cut your calories too much, you may also be cutting your nutrients, which is bad for your health. If your body is not getting enough nutrients, your body will go into starvation mode and will hang on to fat for your own survival. And, it may slow down your metabolism. If you cut calories, make sure that you are eating nutrient-dense foods and/or supplementing with a high-quality vitamin/mineral supplement.
- Portion Control. Most people simply eat too much, especially when going out to eat. Restaurants will load up your plate, and you’ll eat it! Simply reducing your portions can help lose weight. As a general rule of thumb, your protein should be the size of your open hand. Your carbs should be the size of your closed fist. Think of a piece of fish the size of your hand and a pile of rice the size of your fist.
- Drink more water. Sometimes when you’re hungry, you’re actually just dehydrated. If you start to feel hungry, have a glass of water. Also, if you drink a glass of water 30 minutes before your meal, you may not be able to eat as much.
- Try some high-intensity, interval workouts. Studies have shown that people who do intervals burn more fat than people who do long, steady cardio workouts.
- Build more muscle. Muscle burns more energy. The more muscle you have, the more energy you’ll need to sustain it.
- Avoid simple carbs, sugar, and gluten. Many people shed pounds quite easily by simply switching from soda to water, removing things like high fructose corn syrup, and ditching the bread.
- Eat more slowly. If you eat quickly, you will overeat. Your body doesn’t have enough time to tell your brain that your stomach is full. If you slow down, your brain will have time to recognize that you’re full. And that, my friends, will keep you from having to unbutton your pants to breathe. 🙂